Reading First Statewide Program Evaluation
From 2003 through 2010, Educational Data Systems was the prime contractor to the State of California to implement an evaluation of the State’s Reading First program. The program evaluation included producing three different paper and online surveys for Reading First teachers, reading coaches, and school principals at participating schools. To facilitate this, we:
- Prepared the survey questions
- Equated the three surveys
- Administered the surveys statewide to four different cohorts of participating schools
- Analyzed the data to produce a custom Reading First school “implementation index,” a measure of how well the school implemented the program
- Collected student assessment data from the State’s assessment systems and, to preserve student privacy, suppressed the student names and IDs
- Secured Reading First End-of-Year student data directly from participating school districts
- Collected data from vendors through secure websites or secure FTP sites
- Collected publicly available data sets from existing sources such as STAR, CBEDS, and CELDT statewide assessments
We also created a custom Reading First “achievement index,” a measure of the growth in achievement of each participating school. Using a psychometric procedure, we then combined the implementation and achievement indexes to indicate the effectiveness of the Reading First program.
Educational Data Systems was responsible for the Reading First Evaluation Report for each of the seven years of California’s participation in the Reading First program, as required by federal NCLB requirements and CDE specifications.